Old 29-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Blueberries in Containers

The message
from "Jack" contains these words:

Does anyone know anything about growing Blueberries? I'm considering
growing one in a container, I would assume in ericaceous soil. How large do
they get, do they get lots of fruit, when is harvest time? And are they
more trouble than they're worth?

They need cool damp roots and acid soil; put plenty of surface mulch
above their roots (I use dead bracken). Very well worth growing imho;
not only are the fruit delicious raw or cooked and high in vit C, but
the plants themselves are more ornamentally attractive than other fruit
bushes such as black and red currant. The flowers and fruit are both
pretty in a subtle way, and the leaves put on a good colour show in
autumn.

Janet.