Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default When deadhead Clivia?

On 8 May 2007 19:48:39 -0700, mleblanca wrote:

On May 8, 10:50 am, Persephone wrote:

IOW, having made seeds, won't the plant think, as most flowers do,
"OK, having provided for the next generation, now I can die."?

Annuals might think that, but bulbs usually don't.

Mmm...I didn't know that...!

Daffodils, tulips, iris, all seem to flower on time the next year even
when
I miss a few and they set seeds. And it certainly doesn't deter the
arums at all. Since none of those bulbs die, clivia is not likely to
either.
(But I am just guessing)
Do you have more than one plant; if so, why not try
it with one? You can deadhead the ORBs when they begin to dry
up or ripen....And the flowers might not even get pollinated, so
there wouldn't be any berries at all.

Aha! That's a good scientific way of approaching the problem.
Thanks.

Trivial fact: Clivia was named for Lady Clive, Duchess of North-
umberland, who grew the first flowers of Clivia nobilis in the
UK.
Emilie

Yeah, I saw that at a Web site. Would be SO kewl to have a flower
named after one. Or a star...or a planet...heck, I'd settle for an
asteroid!

Persephone