Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Another New Lawn Question

On May 9, 6:18 am, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
"jeffc" wrote in message

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message
.. .

My question is, once most or all the seed is germinated, how much should
I water? I had been watering 4X a day to keep the seed bed damp at all
times as instructed by the lawncare company. I have a sprinkler system,
so watering is no problem.

4 times a day sounds like way overkill to me. It's just not necessary.
For the first week after it germinates, once a day. After that 2 or 3
times a week for the next couple weeks. But I don't know where you live
or your soil, so I assume it goes without saying to check with the company
you bought from, or the seed company.

When I said 4X a day, what I meant was running each station of the sprinkler
system
for 5 minutes, 4X a day. Just enough to keep the seed bed damp and and
nothing more.
We have clay soil here that doesn't absorb very much water before it runs
off. (especially if
the ground is bare) The soil dries out incredibly fast, especially with no
plant cover to hold the water.

J.A. Michel

4 times a day for 5 mins should be just about right for the first 2
weeks. Now you want to gradually decrease the freq, but increase the
duration. I'd go to 2X a day for 10 mins for a week, then once a day
for 20 mins for a week, then once every other day for 20 mins for a
week, then once every 3rd day for 30 mins...

Then I'd probably keep it at 30 mins every 3rd day through the summer
for the new grass, but extend every second watering to get 3/4 inch so
it goes deep for the existing grass. If you have temps over 80, I'd
increase to every 2nd day. You may need to adjust this based on sun,
wind, temps, the actual flow rate of your sprinklers, how fast the
soil appears to dry out, and how the grass is doing.

Come early fall and decreasing temps, and you can go to giving it
about 1/2" every 4 days.