Old 09-05-2007, 04:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Data Data is offline

Default Another New Lawn Question

On 9 May, 02:53, "J.A. Michel" wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to grow a new tall fescue lawn. We seeded it last fall with
less than satisfactory results. We ended up with a lot of bare spots and
grass that did not come up at all. We planted late (Oct1) gambled, and
lost.

I had a professional lawn care company come overseed it this spring with the
machine that plants the seed in the ground. That was exactly two weeks ago.
I'm getting a lot of new growth coming up now, which is good.

My question is, once most or all the seed is germinated, how much should I
water? I had been watering 4X a day to keep the seed bed damp at all times
as instructed by the lawncare company. I have a sprinkler system, so
watering is no problem.

I know I should cut back on the water once the grass sprouts, but am not
sure by how much. I don't want to give the grass that I do have a fungus or
disease by watering too much.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,

J.A. Michel

Just an add-on observation - Fescue type lawns are best sown in the
Spring, for your Fescue grasses are not all that hardy in first
winter.
Regards
Data
www.gardenseeker.com