Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Joan[_2_] Joan[_2_] is offline

Default Brown water!

On Wed, 9 May 2007 07:50:43 CST, wrote:

it isnt the same stuff, most likely. I will say tho, that when we
fill our big ponds out of the well at the dacha the water has a
definite whitish cast.
it may be possible to remove a lot of that "stuff" with aluminum
sulfate aka alum.

Is that a flocculent? I did add a flocculent once (Pond Care brand);
used the recommended dose; no great change.

if your pond is very warm, that algae can suck the CO2 out of the
water at night right along with the oxygen.

It's not terribly warm, but I did figure that the CO2 consumption by
the underwater plants during photosynthesis was responsible for the
diurnal variations in pH, which is why I've been working hard at
netting out as much algae as I can. Don't want to get rid of the
elodea, though, because I know they complete with algae for NH3, even
before it's converted to nitrate.

the HARDNESS (forget carbonate for now) is due to calcium and
magnesium. oysters only have calcium. but they both do the same
thing. they are the main buffering ions, but you can try putting some
baking soda, sodium bicarbonate in to increase the carbonate buffer.

I've been doing that all along while I'm waiting for the
calcium/magnesium hardness to increase long-term. Since the pond is a
closed system, I'm concerned that there will eventually be an excess
build up of sodium. My salt test kit detects only chloride, so I have
no idea how much sodium is in there or how much is too much.

I think it would be good to start with what is your water like out of
the tap???

Soft soft soft.

can anybody remember the url for the florida state article on this
topic? Ingrid

Joan