Old 10-05-2007, 12:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dave Dave is offline

Default goats

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in message
does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and
flower beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but they
just run right thru it like it doesn't bother them. hate to have to sell
them, as they were gifts to my son from my grandfather before he passed
away. just hate them eating all my plants!

Goats, for some reason, wear heavy shaggy sweaters. Unless they put an
exposed part of their body on the wire, it doesn't bother them to a degree
for the proper response you're looking for. Most adequate electrical
fencing for goats is low impedance, high energy. It uses an intermittent
pulse, not constant energy. The wire is high tensile strength version.
2000 volts or better is recommended.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/ar...2/fencing.html

Dave