Old 10-05-2007, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Electric Strimmers.

A.Lee wrote:
Jabber wrote:

Hi, can anyone recomend an electric strimmer that will deal with rough grass
/nettles etc. It needs to be light and easy to manage. Thanks.

As has been said in the previous post, electric consumer level strimmers
are not really up to the job for thick long grass or nettles.
They are sold by the power of the engine, and the line width. You'd need
1.5mm line for thick grass, 2mm or more for grown nettles, though 1.5mm
does just cope (mine is 1.5mm).
The petrol ones are now quite good value (easily available for less than
£100), and are far more powerful than basic electric strimmers. To ease
the weight, there are some 'universal' carry harnesses available.

Depending on the application (accessibility, flatness, etc.) a sickle
bar mower may be far more suitable. We used to have a big petrol
strimmer (McCulloch I think) but I found it generally awkward and hard
work to use. We now have a couple of small, cheap, 'consumer'
electric strimmers and a petrol engined, goes along on wheels, sickle
bar mower. The sickle bar mower will tackle stuff that a strimmer
won't even look at (brambles and stuff) and the small electric
strimmers are much better than the big petrol one for patio edges,
close to wire netting, etc.

--
Chris Green