Old 10-05-2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
No Name

Default When deadhead Clivia?

My clivia minata have been watered by sprinklers for years and are doing
just fine. I cut off the stalks after the flowers drop just because it
looks better. The only times the plants haven't done well is when they
get too much direct sunlight.

Albert

Persephone wrote:
: On Sat, 05 May 2007 13:30:42 -0700, Persephone wrote:

: On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:05:58 -0700, Persephone wrote:
:
:
: Should I cut off flower spike as soon as blossoms fall?
:
: Or wait how long, and why?
:
: TIA
:
: Persephone
:
:
: Nobody has answered on this.
:
: I went to the Web, and found, inter alia, this comment about watering:
:
: **************
:
: Water regularly, spring through fall. Try to water around, not on, the
: bulb and avoid wetting the leaves.
:
: **************
:
: Gwacious! Why "avoid wetting the leaves"? Straight question.
:
: I have, in fact, made a point of rinsing them off from time to time
: because here (So Calif coastal) there's no natural rainfall to
: clean the leaves.
:
: Does this really hurt them? Why?
:
: (Don't forget the original question about when to deadhead!)
:
: Persephone
:
: Am VERY curious about not wetting Clivia leaves.

: Anybody?

: Persephone