Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default When deadhead Clivia?

On 9 May 2007 18:15:25 -0700, mleblanca wrote:

On May 8, 10:50 am, Persephone wrote:

As to the ORBs, if I let them form, won't I be inhibiting
the plant from putting up new flower spikes in next cycle?

P.
I just realized I meant to say something re this question

Do your Clivias rebloom later in the summer/fall?
Or are they one-time bloomers?

Duh...I'm fairly sure they are one-timers, but that gives you
an idea of how good a witness I'd be on a criminal trial!
Not your most observant...

If they are one timers, then it doesn't matter when
or if you deadhead or leave ORBS. The plants will
bloom OK next year.
But if they DO rebloom. then yes, they should be deadheaded
right after the first blooms fade in order to rebloom later in the
summer/fall of the same year. (:does that make sense?)

Yes, makes perfect sense. Based on your input and that of other
posters, I'd lose nothing and possibly gain another bloom cycle (stay
tunes) by deadheading fairly soon after bloom.

OT: have just been watching the Griffith Park fire. Very BAD.
are you near the park? I remember many wonderful hours
spent at the various venues of Griffith Park (many years ago)
2% humidity!!!WOW that is really LOW.

Emilie
NorCal

Thanks for your concern. I'm in Santa Monica, all the way across
town, so no danger. Griffith Park is really a wonderful, wonderful
place, which I frequented more often [censored] years ago when I lived
in L.A. and my little one was, well, *little.* Have not even been
back to the Observatory since they re-opened after a major remodel.
Can't park there now. Have to reserve and be shuttled in from Hwd or
the Valley. Or reserve and hike up.

Please indulge a mini-rant about getting to Griffith Park or almost
any place outside one's immediate neighborhood.

In recent years, traffic in LA area has become SO bad, that I hear
everybody saying they have given up going to
events/lectures/plays/concerts/whatever at any distance from home.
Griffith Park was always a schlep across town, even by car.
Now...forget it!

So I have decided to park my car for 'n' months and enter the
wonderful world of public transportation. Ins. co DOUBLED my premium
after an accident last year! Plus the $3.50 cost of gas. I just
decided I wasn't going to pay a fortune just to drag that big chunk of
metal a few blocks downtown and adjacent communities. We have
good bus transportation here, so it's do-able. Took off all but the
comp. insurance; am saving a bundle! It's great to "leave the
driving to [them]", but there IS the time factor; everything takes 2x
- 3x as long.

(takes deep breath; steps down from podium)

Persephone