Old 10-05-2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
g_i_n_k_o g_i_n_k_o is offline

Default Daphnia?

Vreejack wrote:
: I have tiny white specs swimming around my tank. They are visible
: with the naked eye, but with a 30x loupe look like round blobs with a
: little bit sticking out. I am guessing they are daphnia, but does
: anyone have any other ideas?
:
: Daphnia are okay with me as they feed fish and eat single-celled
: algae, but I am concerned they might be something else.
:

From the description, these are ostracods. There is a UK Microscopy
site with a good overview on them. Google for details.

Daphnia -vs- Ostracods
daphnia swim in jerky motions, ostracods swim in a smooth manner.
daphnia frequently have an orange or brown color, ostracods are white or green
daphnia at maturity can be 10 times larger than ostracods at maturity