Old 10-05-2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Acer dissapeared!

Otherwise cut the top and bottom off 2 litre pop bottles then split
them up the length, they will spiral in and make a free tree guard,
though not as long as the commercial ones.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Thanks for that idea....
goes in search of plastic bottles

I too use old plastic bottles, but found that strong wind has a tendency to
blow them off over Winter. Instead of splitting them in a straight line top
to bottom I found it better to cut them in a spiral - so the resulting guard
looks more like a spring. These seem to cling on to the trees better. On the
downside they contract more (less high), so I'm toying with the idea of
using two or three and using a stapler to join the ends of the spirals
together. Anyone else tried that?

--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk