Old 11-05-2007, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default rabbits

Frank wrote:
On May 10, 7:21 am, "tony pac" wrote:

Every spring we have hundreds of rabbits,this year I don't see any-Thank
God-,I am wondering if its because of hawk I a have noticed flying
around,surely the hawk could of not gotten all those rabbits,or do the
rabbits sense that a predator is around?

The rabbits don't move out but the predators move in. Around here,
it's mostly foxes but I've even seen house cats kill baby rabbits.
Other factors like weather, disease and starvation can play a big
part. Unlike human populations, animal populations can vary wildly.
Frank

And when the animal population outgrows its food supply the starvation
causes a big die off. Saw that in the deer population in Texas years
ago. Not enough hunters or food and the deer just starved to death.

George