Old 10-05-2007, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Simon Harding Simon Harding is offline

Default Electric Strimmers.

David (Normandy) wrote:
Nettles are tough, the fibres can be extracted and made into cloth or
rope. I really think you need to look at a petrol jobbie of some sort I
have one similar to:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=27583

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I've got a petrol Ryobi too, with interchangeable head so I can switch from
using a strimmer line to a blade (not those useless triangular things but a
blade like those in a mower). I highly recommend it. You have to be
EXTREMELY careful when using the blade attachment - it isn't a pretty sight
if you catch chain link fencing with it! Small stones and pebbles are also a
problem if the blade hits one as they go flying a great distance (and once
into my leg - ouch!). Critical to wear a full face visor when using one. It
sails through nettles, brambles and tussock grass like a knife through
butter. Can be a bit frightening if you hit a post etc!

Roundup.... spot weed nettles. Don't strim them!! I have a big Echo
brushcutter and only use it on brambles and small trees with its blade.
A good line with decimate nettles and thistles but they are perennial so
will regrow anyway.

I use a circular saw blade on my brush cutter to coppice hazel and
willow and to harvest Christmas Trees.