Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default goats

"Rachael Simpson" writes:
does anyone have any advice on keeping our goats out of the garden and =
flower beds? we had them fenced in high powered electric fencing, but =

Train them to strap collars, and then tether them. Make sure the ropes
are too substantial to be chewed, and that there is nothing for the ropes
to snag on. If there is any likelihood of the goats being spooked, by a dog
especially, tie the ropes to an old bike tyre or similar which is in turn
anchored --- so that there is some "give" in the restraint otherwise there
is a possibility that when put to flight a goat might snap its neck as the
rope snaps taut. (BTDT, sheep). Tied to a fence is best so that they can't
go round and round (e.g., a pole) and wind the rope tightly.

Move the tethers a couple of times each day, ensuring access to water and
shade is always available.