Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default When deadhead Clivia?

In recent years, traffic in LA area has become SO bad, that I hear
everybody saying they have given up going to
events/lectures/plays/concerts/whatever at any distance from home.
Griffith Park was always a schlep across town, even by car.
Now...forget it!

That is really a shame. There is so much "good stuff" there.

Exposition Park also comes to my memories

So I have decided to park my car for 'n' months and enter the
wonderful world of public transportation. Ins. co DOUBLED my premium
after an accident last year! Plus the $3.50 cost of gas. I just
decided I wasn't going to pay a fortune just to drag that big chunk of
metal a few blocks downtown and adjacent communities. We have
good bus transportation here, so it's do-able. Took off all but the
comp. insurance; am saving a bundle! It's great to "leave the
driving to [them]", but there IS the time factor; everything takes 2x
- 3x as long.

Good for you

I grew up in Long Beach and I attended my *0th High School reunion
there
in August. I hardly recognized the place. We came into LA on the
freeway,
and got off right away. Took the surface streets instead, at least
traffic
was moving and drivers were not quite "INSANE"

On Gardening: The local Calif Native Plant Society visited my garden
yesterday, and they have invited me to have my garden on their
native garden tour next Spring. That should be fun ;(and work) as
you probably can tell I love to talk about my garden!!

PS now I see that Catalina Island is on fire, too; and it is only May.
Emilie