Old 10-05-2007, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_3_] Robert[_3_] is offline

Default OT. F**king Ramblers

In message , Martin
writes

waterproofs on a sunny day, rucksacks, hairy socks, walking with the help of
Nordic ski sticks ...

Oh dear - whenever I walk on the moor I invariably wear/take a
waterproof as the weather is very changeable - it can be sunny for hours
and then with little warning the mist comes down and it starts to rain.
We always have one rucksack between the two of us containing camera
gear, drinks and a first aid kit which came in very useful a couple of
years ago. I don't think you could describe my socks as hairy, more
heavily textured - merino 'Smartwool' I recommend them to anyone who
does any distance walking or over difficult terrain. I use my camera
monopod as a stick when necessary but my slightly better half does use a
pole when walking off track - it helps to identify the deep soggy areas
that frequently appear to be harmless until prodded.

We are not into route marches and I have never thought of myself as a
Rambler as we tend to walk to a specific location to have a look at the
landscape and particular archaeological or habitat features - but I
could certainly pass as one based on your description.

--
Robert