Old 11-05-2007, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara Klara is offline

Default Unusual Veggies

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"David (Normandy)" wrote after...

"Bob Hobden" wrote
We grow chillies every year out on the allotment and have done for some
years. Always get a good crop (especially the hot Thai Dragon).

I'll look out for seeds for that variety next year. When I've tried in the
past in Nottingham in a greenhouse the crop was dismal. I think part of
the problem was the greenhouse wasn't in full sun all day.

Do they freeze well or lose any of their spicy heat? How does freezing
compare to drying?

I believe "Thai Dragon" are only sold by T & M.
Our little lean-to greenhouse is on the NNE. side of our garage so sun isn't
necessary to grow them from seed although they like it when growing on, of
course outside on the allotment they get full sun all day. They do need heat
to germinate so I use a covered/heated propagator which I put on the
greenhouse staging, can't overstate it's usefulness for germinating chillies
and sweetcorn etc. We always plant then out between out 18 inch high carrot
bin and our sweetcorn (always on the northerly side) so they have some
protection from any strong cold winds and are in a bit of a sun/warmth trap.
They freeze well, can't say I've noticed a reduction in heat, best to open
freeze them on a tray and then bag then after they are frozen, that way you
can take what you need out of the bag and leave the others frozen. With
drying you do lose some flavour.

Got just one small pot without a label, I think from Homebase, left it
out in the garden in the sun in the pot all summer, picked them from
time to time, in the autumn it still had 85 small hot chillies, mostly
red, left on it!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin