Old 12-05-2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
bungadora bungadora is offline

Default I'm about to eviscerate a lot of squirrels if I can't get some help.

On May 11, 5:11 pm, foo wrote:
This is a thread destined to be flamed. So be it.

So with the secondary intention of actually saving these, ahem, a-
holes, can someone please recommend a safe solution to either
preventing them from eating my greens?

Actually the bit about the squirrel sanctuary is sometimes advised. If
they're eating nuts they aren't as interested in your salad. That
said, I don't like the idea of feeding tree rats. Besides which they
start burying nuts in the ground.

My cats are into chasing squirrels when I let them out, and I let
them, but never when there's actually a danger of them catching one.
The scare is enough. But my cats aren't out all the time, and I don't
want them digging in my garden either.

I've used blood meal sprinkled on the ground with some success. IMHO
it gives the squirrels the idea that a squirrel-like creature met its
demise in your garden. But it has to be applied after every rainfall.

Good luck!