Old 12-05-2007, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
---Pete--- ---Pete--- is offline

Default Electric Fence to keep Groudhogs Out

On Fri, 11 May 2007 06:34:46 -0500, (Pat
Kiewicz) wrote:

Pat, thanks for the detailed post!
I'll respond below to a few key points.

How often would I need to re-charge the battery?

Depends on the charger and the type of batteries it uses and how often
the fence is 'challenged.'
I replace 6 'D' cells a couple of times a season.

------
In my research I found many fence energizers but the ones most
suitable for a small garden are rated at 1 to 5 miles as opposed
to units rated for 10 to 75 miles.

Link below is an energizer rated for 1 mile which is battery operated.
I found info that agrees with your experience that says the D-cell
batteries will need to be changed about every 2 months,
http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/CATAL...2d_4986734.htm

Aluminum Wire...
http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/CATAL...re_4986769.htm

My fence is 4' tall, one side being chain link (boundary with a neighbor)
and 3 sides being plastic coated wire. I have two electric strands on top
and two ground strands (on the wire part of the fence). My neighbor
says she has watch groundhogs climb the fence, get a jolt, and then
jump back off.

-------
Pat, my garden fence is very similar to yours.
I did find a couple of kits. One being battery operated and the other
being AC powered at the link below but I think I'm just going to buy
the energizer and wire separately and fabricate my own insulators
to attach the wire to my current fence.
http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=283

Thanks again for your info, I'm convinced it will work to keep those
ground hogs out of my garden. Traps only work so much, but it
only takes a few days for the ground hogs to destroy the entire
garden. I think the best solution is to use both.

---pete---