Old 12-05-2007, 05:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Travis M. Travis M. is offline

Default Help identify this hummer, please

"Grampa Bob" wrote in message
I think this is an Allens Hummingbird, but the book doesn't show them
here
in the Puget Sound area? Any ideas? By the way, got to keep our sense
of
humor as we get older. I was about to throw the camera gear in the
trash
(poor focus and grain), till I realized I was shooting through a
closed
screen door. And, I surprised when I reached out and opened it, the
little
guy just cocked his head and gave me 'the look' and stayed put -
Thanks
for your help - GB

From Wikipedia: "The female and immature Allen's Hummingbirds are so
similar to the female Rufous Hummingbird that the two are almost
indistinguishable in the field." also "The Allen's Hummingbird is common
only in the brushy woods, gardens, and meadows of coastal California
from Santa Barbara north, and a minuscule portion of lower Oregon."

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington