Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default When Are Leek Seeds Ready?

wrote:

My leeks are putting up pods, which I am fairly sure are full of
seeds.

I'm not sure I'd call them pods... I cut the dry flower heads and put them
in a paper bag for a few weeks. When they're crackly dry, they can be
crushed and rubbed in your hands, and the seeds winnowed out.
I often mix seeds and chaff with water and float off all the crud, then
spread the seeds on a fine screen in front of a fan. They dry too quickly
to even think about sprouting. Works for me, at least.