Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Electric Strimmers.

On Sat, 12 May 2007 09:14:01 +0100, Kate Morgan wrote:

My only complaint is that because it is electric it does not reach very
far without using extension which leads me to my query, how many
extension can one safely use.

Short answer: Until there isn't enough power at the far end for the
trimmer to work.

Long Answer: Use an extension cable made with at least 2.5mm^2 cores. Have
as few joints as possible (ie have 1 x 100m lead rather than 10 x 10m
ones). Always fully uncoil it or figure of eight (either flat or in a coil
if you know how to do that). Always have the extension protected by a 30mA
RCD, modern wiring regs require that any socket that *may* be used
"outside" must be so protected, check. If in doubt fit one of the plug
type RCDs to the cable so it can't be used without, it may be wise to do
that anyway. Consider having shorter extensions available for use nearer
the power source. Consider making any connectors to be water/weather proof
type rather than your basic 13A plug/socket.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail