Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M. Travis M. is offline

Default I'm about to eviscerate a lot of squirrels if I can't get some help.

"Lar" wrote in message
Travis M. wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

On May 11, 5:11 pm, foo wrote:

This is a thread destined to be flamed. So be it.

Dear PETA,

Don't read this.

onward.

I have squirrels (oh yes, those cutesy little scamps running around
with nuts in their mouths climbing trees and spreading glee
throughout
the land) that are not only digging up my brand new seedlings but
terrorizing the pots they reside in as well. So far they have
killed
at least ten burgeoning plants. No more. I'm going walking tall
on
these punks very soon if I can't get some advice. (please).

So, without further adieu here is my question:

What is a safe and relatively easy alternative to preventing these
*******s from eating my seedlings (and digging into the soil)?

My first thought isn't safe- it involves a competition .22 with hot
ammo and a spray of blood so fanning that it will look like the
skies
are raining death. Locked, cocked, and ready for squirrel.

These *******s taunt me. Sitting high-and-mighty in *my* trees
which
I let them hang out in. They stare at me- they know me- I'm their
maker- the one they may meet. They casually dance through the
branches and always get away of course. But, from the bullet?
Not
so much.

So with the secondary intention of actually saving these, ahem, a-
holes, can someone please recommend a safe solution to either
preventing them from eating my greens?

If necessary I will build a squirrel sanctuary. One with plenty of
weeds and expensive organic soil for them to dig through- sort of
like
a bat house. They can sit there fancy-free and munch away at
things
that nobody cares about. I will provide them a steady supply of
nuts
during the winter and even crack them for them to not damage their
teeth. I will provide yearly dental checkups just in case. I will
warm their squirrel house's with a nice warm incandescent glow so
they
may dine together on things OTHER THAN MY PLANTS.

Thank your your your attention to this pressing matter.

A live trap might be an option. I've seen them for sale at farm and
ranch supply places for about $40.00 Also, some state divisions of
wildlife lend these out to property owners (probably on a limited
basis - and maybe for a fee???) but something to check into. I am
told that once you catch the little bugger you have to take it for
ride of at least 5 miles before releasing it, in order to keep it
from
returning.
Hope this helps. Happy trapping!

In Washington state trapping, live or otherwise is illegal.

You can get a permit in Wa state to trap...just have to jump through a
few hoops

from WAC 232-12-14----- Washington Administrative Code (WAC)
April 4, 2007

(6) A person seeking a special trapping permit shall submit a complete
application to the department. The applicant shall provide the
following information:

(a) Applicant's name, address, and telephone number.

(b) Location(s) of animal problem (physical address or legal
description including township, range, and section number).

(c) Description of the animal problem:

(i) Duration of the animal problem.

(ii) Description of the damage or potential damage being caused
(i.e., crop, timber, property, livestock, or pet animals, etc.).

(iii) Any threat or potential threat to the health and/or safety
of people.

(d) Species of animal causing the problem and, if known, the
number of animals involved.

(e) Description of the measures taken to prevent or alleviate the
problem or damage.

(f) Explanation of why the measures taken were ineffective to
abate the problem or why such measures could not reasonably or
effectively be used to abate the animal problem.

(g) Whether Conibear-type traps in water, padded foot-hold traps
or nonstrangling-type foot snares will be used.

(h) Species and number of animals to be removed.

I doubt one could get a special permit to trap squirrels.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington