Old 12-05-2007, 04:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default water

Makes sense to me to put pots in if you want! They would draw
nutrients as they fed. And they would be pretty. My sysetm seems more
utilitarian.

Potted growth would serve us less effectively. Our veggie filter/
ponds are 18" deep, so we would have to elevate the pots. Using pots
instead of floating plants would cost us a lot in efficiency. The
floaters' leafy growth covers the surface of the filters entirely
(total footage: 84 sq ft) Floaters also give us the roots of the
plants as mechanical filters and bacterial surface. At this stage, we
only have 16 sq ft that is not covered be hyacinth or celery. The
celery has done so well that I will begin to take hunks out (I use a
carving knife to slice out 2 x 2 hunks). The hyacinth have covered
their ponds and are about 6" tall. Now they will go up and down
rapidly (tops and root systems). In another couple of weeks, I will
begin to toss some to facilitate new growth. By the middle of summer,
I will toss more than a bushel a week.

Jim