Old 12-05-2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
mos mos is offline

Default May update

On May 11, 10:24 pm, kthirtya wrote:
So... how are the ponds coming??
Anyone have a lily flower yet?

Yesterday it was quite warm here in Phila, so I put on my shorts and
climbed into the puddle. I set a couple of towels and my birks next
to the rocks, and whoops! I quickly remembered how slippery it gets!
I was soaked. Not ten minutes later the guys that come and cut my
lawn showed up.......I guess they thought I had lost my
mind....Swimming in the puddle.... I scooped out about 4 inches of
bottom "stuff", mostly composed of pinecones, and needles...and goo. I
have to do this every year, but this year I didn't have an old kiddie
pond to empty the water into....it does make it easier. I have a very
old/large pinetree that spans my yard and pond. I put the stuff
under my plants, they reward me with vigourous growth. I pulled out
the winter bubbler, hooked up the main pump, set up the underwater
light, and picked out any of the rocks that had fallen down. I set
the lillies where they would get the best sun, and after climbing out
I realized I forgot to move the lotus pot.....and then my little lily
promptly floated to the top. My squatter frog is nowhere to be seen
today, I guess he took cover, and the water is still pretty cloudy,
but clearer than yesterday. I should have tested the water quality
before I started to stir things up.....darn it.

I'll keep my eye out for hyacinth here, but my local shop closed, they
helped me when I first walked in the store and said "what do I need to
set up a pond"..... I only need one or two hyacinth, maybe I'll toss
some watercress in till then. I need to pick up some fertilizer
spikes too,

I can't imagine the work involved in large setups! I applaud all of
you that manage this.
Maureen