Old 12-05-2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Are Oxygenators Needed If Have No Fish

On Sat, 12 May 2007 09:06:50 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

I started to reply, then got a bit distracted, I live a little West of
Lake City, Fl. I have no fish (that I know of) in my pond. I have a
mud bottomed or "natural" pond. Well, I call it a pond, it used to be
a really wet garbage heap, and when the garbage was hauled away, there
was a big puddle I call a pond. Normally the water is almost 20 yards
in diameter, but what with the lack of rain we've had in northern
Florida I can only manage to keep it about 10 yards in diameter. I
was most interested in clear water, as long as I was going to have
something nearby. I didn't plant anything special, but I did put in a
(probably much bigger than necessary) airstone and aerator. Many
aquatic plants have since grown, though I didn't plant them, and many
folks have remarked on how clear the water is. Maybe it is the
aerator, I don't know, but I have two other "natural" ponds on the
property that are nowhere near as clear.

What seems like a gazillion years ago now, we use to have to person in old
RP always talking about the wonders of aeration, course he sold them.... so
it didn't help his case, even though I and others agreed with him. I've
noted that many of the golf course have them running.... and they use them
in those open sewage treatment places. So I vote for aeration. ~ jan :-)
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us