Old 12-05-2007, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Preventing spread of blackberries

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Blackberry in the UK normally refers to plants of Rubus subgenus
| Eubatus, also known as brambles. A physical barrier to the roots would
| be ineffective in controlling the spread of these, as they mostly spread
| by seed and by tip-layering. I haven't noticed them suckering from
| roots.

According to some posters and Clapham, Tutin and Warberg, there are
UK native blackberries that spread by suckers. CTW refers to them
as section Suberecti, says that they are most common on very acid
soils, and hypothesises that they are an ancient hybrid with
R. idaeus.

I have not noticed them myself, but keep remembering to look out
for them when I am in relevant areas.

And, as you know, rearranging the classifications of UK blackberries
is a task for a lifetime!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.