Old 29-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Tom C

Default Question about types of mulch

That would probably help keep grass from coming up but would do little to
help the soil try putting old grass clippings around the plants if your
not worried about having a fancy mulch .I twill smother your grass and kill
it there as well as decompose and feed the plants and loosen your soil.
Grass clippings are high in nitrogen and get hot when breaking up and
therefore will kill grass form coming up in those areas. Best
regards Tom in Oklahoma

"spampot" wrote in message
We have heavy rocky clay soil, but a well-established lawn. I plan to
divide some of my clumps of daffodils into grassy areas and am wondering
about surrounding the daffs w/some kind of mulch that will keep down
grass and weeds and eventually break down and nourish the soil. Any
suggestions? Ripping out this grass is very hard so i'd rather just
smother it. would landscaping cloth under the mulch between the daffs
be a good idea?

TIA.