Old 13-05-2007, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default I'm about to eviscerate a lot of squirrels if I can't get some help.

On 12 May 2007 17:52:44 -0700, bungadora wrote:

On May 12, 10:55 am, foo wrote:
And not a single flame! Is Usenet growing up after 20 years?!

THANKS TO EVERYONE! I love the blood meal idea!!! And its good for my
plants!

Good luck with it. You have to be fairly vigilant about applying the
blood meal around the plants. And if they are really hungry, I don't
know how well it will work. One of my neighbors feeds every invasive
pest there is, and while it attracts scads of pigeons etc., the
squirrels probably don't dig up as many bulbs, etc. as they might
otherwise.

I don't think there are many gardeners who haven't had to contend with
squirrels and even if the gentler souls have probably felt like
throttling the little buggers.

You got that right!

Many tales to tell. The most recent: I put in 6 plants each of three
varieties of strawberries. Saw nice fat berries ripening. Went out
to pick -- surprise! Somebody had been there first. Had to improvise
a mickey-mouse fence with netting on type. So far, so good...

The last I saw of my sunflowers last
year was a fat little squirrel bum bouncing across the garden with the
entire flower head in his mouth.
Dora

Few years ago, my plum tree was on the way out. Only one limb still
bearing. I had to go out of town, and wasn't about to sacrifice those
few plums to THEM. Got a bunch of small paper bags and carefully tied
them around each plum. Lotta work. In vain. How did they get those
bags off???!!!!

Persephone