Old 13-05-2007, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Potato in a bucket.... comp urg Competition????

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 12 May, 22:40, "CWatters"
wrote:
Just been entered in a village competition to grow as many potatoes as
possible (by weight) in a bucket from one seed potatoe. I've never even
grown pots before so anyone got any tips?
Need to add drainage holes?
How deep to plant it in the bucket?
What compost etc?
Secret tips?

Phew!! In a bucket?! Now?! I've been thinking about this over a bowl
of musli. A bucket won't give you much room for mulching - spuds, as
they grow, that is the leaves above the soil, like mulching with the
soil around them or with any other sort of mulch. I use cut grass,
straw etc. It keeps the moisture in and keep light away from the
spuds.

If I was you: yes, I would make some holes under the bucket for good
drainage, I would get a bag of soil improver which is manure from B&Q
(not bark or any other!!) and grow your lonely spud in there. These
bags contain broken down manure and because you don't have time to
fidle about with manure, nor would anybody sell you a bucket full
only, it's the best medium for you. It's a bit costly for a bucket
but you can use the rest of the manure on your garden (but after the
competition - you will need as much OM as you can for your bucket). I
would fill half of the bucket, place your spud on top and cover to one
depth of your spud. As the shoots emerge I would add more of the
manure around the leaves, make a little mound around the leaves as
they grow. I would perhaps break an egg box and arrange it around the
plant to keep the moisture in, or use any sort of cardboard.

As for secrets .. well they wouldn't be secrets if I tell you ) I
can't think a one secret tip for spuds - the best one is your soil -
you want to give your spud the best environment, keep it moist, lots
of room since it's weight you are after and not the number of spuds.
By adding om as high as you can you'll give the spuds more matter to
grow in. That perhaps is the secret ;o) Good luck!

How about we all do it on here and see who can grow the most by weight?

We will have to rely on the honesty of the urglers, but how about it?

Anyone game for it?

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk