Old 13-05-2007, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Theft of window boxes

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a terrace house which directly fronts the pavement of the
street. Three years ago I put three stone window-boxes on the window
sill at the front of the house to brighten up the house and the
street. This year, for the first time, someone has stolen one.

What can I do to secure them? Are there any off-the-anti-theft shelf
systems I can buy from a gardening centre or DIY shop?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brackets at the back to secure them if possible, but the best way is to
drill through the bottom of the window boxes, hammer action masonry drill
VERY VERY VERY slowly and carefully, hardly any pressure, then line the
holes up on the window sill and drill that. Concrete the head of a bolt into
the window sill and fix a washer and nut inside the window box. Disadvantage
is that you have to make the window box up and dismantle it all in situ :-(

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk