Old 13-05-2007, 12:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Angela Lamb Angela Lamb is offline

Default Are Oxygenators Needed If Have No Fish

In article , Davy
writes
So far no reply from someone who has a wildlife fishless pond. Maybe this
group is mostly for koi owners ?? Perhaps I should try a 'nature' group?
thanks Davy

I read here rather than post but since I am in the same country as you
thought I would answer. I have an *almost* fishless wildlife pond in the
NE of England. It is full of frogs and insects and the water is crystal
clear but I do have lots of plants including oxygenators. They didn't
cost me anything like £100 though - I bought half a dozen bunches and
planted them 7 years ago. Now I have to seriously cut them back every
year or they would fill the whole pond. The *almost* comment re. fish is
that I have a 7 year old Golden Orf in there who started out at 2" long
and is now 10" long who feasts on the tadpoles every year. I run a
fountain intermittently. I must have been very lucky because I don't do
any of the clever chemical juggling people in here do - I just leave it
all to take care of itself apart from the weeding every year.

Angela.