Old 13-05-2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Need a cascading flowering hanging basket in the shade

21Rouge wrote:
On May 13, 2:30 am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
21Rouge wrote:
We live just north of Toronto Ontario.
Our home faces north and our plan is to place a hanging basket on
either side of the garage (north side of the house; some morning sun)
just under the eve of the roof (about 8 feet off the ground). We want
as much colour as possible and we want it to cascade as the summer
goes on. Each year we have trouble finding such a combination ie
colour, shade, cascading. Can you suggest?

Try impatiens. Technically a perennial, you can treat it as an annual.
Many do quite well in the shade but tolerate sun. It's fast growing
and will quickly cascade and hide the basket in which it is growing.

Thanks for the reply David. I do know that impatiens does well in
shade (which for sure is our situation) but no variety that we know of
is a "cascader" so as to cover the basket.

There are indeed several varieties of impatiens that will grow long,
floppy stems suitable for cascading out of a hanging basket. My
neighbor next door had a hanging basket of impatiens where the plant
completely hid the basket. With occasional trimming, this looked great
for several years until the Great Freeze of '07 this past January. In
your climate it definitely would be an annual.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean