Old 13-05-2007, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Theft of window boxes

On 13/5/07 18:32, in article , "K"
wrote:

writes
I live in a terrace house which directly fronts the pavement of the
street. Three years ago I put three stone window-boxes on the window
sill at the front of the house to brighten up the house and the
street. This year, for the first time, someone has stolen one.

What can I do to secure them? Are there any off-the-anti-theft shelf
systems I can buy from a gardening centre or DIY shop?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You could try painting your postcode on the end or the window side. It'd
make it unsaleable, so they might just leave it behind.

Burglar alarm systems include pads which will sound the alarm if they
are no longer in contact (it's what you use on doors) - you'd put one on
the windowsill and one on the box - you'd have to worry about
waterproof-ness

I suspect the best approach would be to use low-value boxes at the front
of the house.

FWIW I had a (full) water butt stolen a few years back.

Someone in a neighbouring village bought a big granite trough a few years
ago. It took a forklift and three men to put it in position in her garden.
Two days later it was stolen overnight and she didn't hear a thing.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk