Old 13-05-2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Brown water!

On Sat, 12 May 2007 14:53:35 CST, wrote:

dont know, but when those "pills" are tossed into soft acid ponds the
pH swings are enough to start killing the fish. It sounds good in
theory, just doesnt work. Another Koivorkian moment.
Ingrid

I suspect this was something you heard about instead of personal
experience and the pH pill you heard about was more than just Plaster
of Paris, or one with additives to enhance molding qualities, like
silica. I don't know what else might be used, possibly quick lime or
one of those used in cement for quick setting?

I've had more success at raising the KH along with the GH, instead of
just raising the GH with limestone's by using calcium sulfate, in the
pH pill than any other substance. I must admit it is difficult to
find a plaster of Paris without additives. I haven't tried one with
quick lime though .

Regards,

Hal