Old 14-05-2007, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dave Dave is offline

Default Buried Underground Hose Question

wrote in message
oups.com...
For a part of a diy home project me and my mates need to burry a
length of standard garden hose underground permanently.
My question is will the hose biodegrade? if so.. is there a specific
type of hose that wouldnt biodegrade that i could use?

Thank you in advance

Standard garden hose is too soft. The weight of the soil will depress it to
the point of little or no flow.

2 options. Polyethylene hose, its black in color, will hold up. Other
option is #80 PVC piping. Standard PVC will not hold up more than a couple
of years, and, doesn't tolerate much weight, easier to break. You also have
to consider foot traffic, and other traffic that may at sometime be
traveling over the area in the future. Depth is also an issue for heavy
items like a truck driving over it.
Dave