Old 14-05-2007, 03:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Dead Goldfish

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

Soil/silt on bottom of pond - cleaned out last year. Water still
cloudy from extracting leaves, blanket weed etc.
Does it need cleaning out regularly - some fishponds seem to go on for
ever without cleaning.
Lots of pondweed plants etc.
John

Thank you for filling out the sick fish form, that explains a lot. Ingrid
hit the nail on the head, dirt bottom, bad water conditions.

I don't know which man-made ponds go on forever.... usually when not
maintained, cleaned bottom, refreshed water, things start to die in 3-5
years depending on fish load. The bottom needs to be cleaned every fall
minimum, and water should be partially removed and new added 20%
minimum/month.

On a pond that small, you might want to try a wet/dry vac to suck out the
muck (if you have one). They won't cloud up the water as much which release
H2S into the water, toxic for the fish. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Wet/dry vac has been my new best pond maintenance tool thanks to this
group. Cheap at Home Depot (or other). Only concern is keeping fish away
from being sucked it, but they generally scurry to other end of pond.
I also put it down to the bottom before switching it on, and turn it off
before i bring it up.