Old 14-05-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default keeping my cats out of my garden

On Mon, 14 May 2007 12:23:06 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

Charles Quinn writes:
Sam wrote in news:1178647528.718999.238570
:

We also have 2 cats. I plan to lay chicken wire on top of the soil.
Is this a good method? Has anyone tried a motion detector water
sprayer? My husband refuses to put chicken wire around the garden (as
a fence), for aesthetic reasons.

http://www.gardeners.com/Animal-Repe...ult/05-497.prd

Eat some oranges, place the peels in a blender with some water. Puree
them, then spread around the edge of the garden. Repeat application
often.

Even if the smell of citrus is a deterrent to cats, I suspect that
pureed peel would need frequent re-application. An alternative would be
living plants of the herb rue (unless you are in an area of unfavourable
climate for herbs). It grows readily from a slip. Cats are reputed to
find its odour detestable. Rue is not a culinary herb, unfortunately.

Cats are not the only ones who find the odor of Rue detestable. Stinks
to high heaven and does not deter the cats.
--
Susan N.