Old 14-05-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Seed compost recommendation

On 14/5/07 08:17, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Peter Fairbrother" wrote in message
Hi,

I have been using J Arthur Bower's John Innes seed compost, and I don't

like
it much - the peat is not sieved, and it doesn't seem to drain properly.

I only use about 5 to 10 litres of seed compost per year, so within reason
cost isn't an issue - can anyone recommend something better, for general
use?

Next years seedlings will thank you! , as do I,

--
Peter Fairbrother

I prefer a seed compost with added sand so will either buy Levingtons seed
compost or add sand to a multipurpose, we are (or try to be) peat free and I
must say that bark based peat free compost is rubbish for seed germination!

Same here, Charlie. But we do use peat based compost for just about
everything, because we find non-peat just doesn't do the job well enough.
We use Levington's F2 for seeds. Recently, we bought a pallet of organic
compost for sale to customers and nobody's interested. I think we've sold
about three bags. OTOH, the ZooPoo has all gone bar three or four bags -
that really has proved extremely popular.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk