Old 14-05-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default keeping my cats out of my garden

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Mon, 14 May 2007 12:23:06 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

Charles Quinn writes:
Sam wrote in news:1178647528.718999.238570
:

We also have 2 cats. I plan to lay chicken wire on top of the soil.
Is this a good method? Has anyone tried a motion detector water
sprayer? My husband refuses to put chicken wire around the garden (as
a fence), for aesthetic reasons.

http://www.gardeners.com/Animal-Repe...ult/05-497.prd

Eat some oranges, place the peels in a blender with some water. Puree
them, then spread around the edge of the garden. Repeat application
often.

Even if the smell of citrus is a deterrent to cats, I suspect that
pureed peel would need frequent re-application. An alternative would be
living plants of the herb rue (unless you are in an area of unfavourable
climate for herbs). It grows readily from a slip. Cats are reputed to
find its odour detestable. Rue is not a culinary herb, unfortunately.

Cats are not the only ones who find the odor of Rue detestable. Stinks
to high heaven and does not deter the cats.

My cats don't like rosemary...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.