Old 14-05-2007, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Seed compost recommendation

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 14 May, 11:18, Sacha wrote:
Same here, Charlie. But we do use peat based compost for just about
everything, because we find non-peat just doesn't do the job well

enough.

What, not making any profits you mean. And that at the expense of the
environment. It's a disgrace. And before anyone jumps on the wagon
this is not a personnal call. It is a universal call to understanding
and change. I'm simply saying what is what. It is ludicrous in our
time of climate change, and all our efforts to reverse the damages,
that something like this can be written in a forum which gives advice,
but good advice.

I think there is some confusion here, using or not using peat has nothing
whatever to do with global warming, although I suppose it could be argued
that it would depend on how far the compost had traveled to the point of
use, so those people using "organic compost" made from coir are having a
much worse effect than those using an Irish peat based compost!

We use organic none peat compost for everything we produce for sale, but we
do so because what we grow does better in it, not to please the green lobby,
I would not hesitate to change back in order to grow something that did not
like it, and I am a long way from being convinced that peat extraction in
some places is causing much damage at all and in places like Finland they
reckon its being laid down faster than they are extracting.
You simply can not pick on one commodity and say "stop doing this its bad"
but ignoring the hundreds of products we all use every day that are all just
as bad.
And as for profit, it would make no difference to the level of profit being
made, the cost of the compost might, not the type. What we are using is
exactly the same price as the peat based compost we used to use.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk