Old 14-05-2007, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default Seed compost recommendation

Sacha wrote:
: On 14/5/07 08:17, in article ,
: "Charlie Pridham" wrote:
:
::
:: "Peter Fairbrother" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Hi,
:::
::: I have been using J Arthur Bower's John Innes seed compost, and I
::: don't like it much - the peat is not sieved, and it doesn't seem to
::: drain properly.
:::
::: I only use about 5 to 10 litres of seed compost per year, so within
::: reason cost isn't an issue - can anyone recommend something better,
::: for general use?
:::
:::
::: Next years seedlings will thank you! , as do I,
:::
:::
::: --
::: Peter Fairbrother
:::
:: I prefer a seed compost with added sand so will either buy
:: Levingtons seed compost or add sand to a multipurpose, we are (or
:: try to be) peat free and I must say that bark based peat free
:: compost is rubbish for seed germination!
:
: Same here, Charlie. But we do use peat based compost for just about
: everything, because we find non-peat just doesn't do the job well
: enough. We use Levington's F2 for seeds. Recently, we bought a
: pallet of organic compost for sale to customers and nobody's
: interested. I think we've sold about three bags. OTOH, the ZooPoo
: has all gone bar three or four bags - that really has proved
: extremely popular.

I get trailer loads of zoo poo and it produces fantastic crops and it's
light and easy to move about, not like the farmyard manure. I really am
amazed, I roar by it! Returning to the original question, I used to mix half
and half john innes with a peat based but in recent years b and q have done
it for me, so I buy there peat and ji mix. Does a very good job