Old 14-05-2007, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews Gill Matthews is offline

Default Slug devastation

In article , says...
We are having a really bad Spring here what with devastation of fruit trees,
by mth caterpillars, we also have more slug damage than ever before.

Unfortunately, I have been having trouble with my News Art downloading, so
if I do not reply to any help, it is because I have computer problems.

Anyway, we try to be organic and re. the slugs, I try to use methods
advocated by what was the HDRA. I think it's called something else now.

I have used the Malay fish poison that you water on, and is meant to be
effective for up to 6 weeks, regardless of rain. However, I can't find our
stock of it, or we've run out.

I have been using stuff with Aluminium sulphate. This upsets slugs but is
meant to be harmless to warm blood creatures. But, in heavy rain it just
seems to get washed away in a day.

I am hoping to find something that actually attracts slugs, so I could put
it under a shelter from the rain.

Then again, there the possibility of beer ! The slugs get drunk. This may be
attract slugs from some distance away.

But, a common factor re. fruit and slug devastation seems to be a dearth of
the right sorts of birds.

I should be grateful for any helpful thoughts.

Nemaslug works well in limited contained areas. I use it in my raised allotment
beds beer traps also work well if you empty them regularly. If you like sitting
out in the evening I tend to stamp on a few and then catch and kill about 20
more as they come to feast on their fallen companions.

Gill M