Old 14-05-2007, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Slug devastation

In message , Wane Smooth
writes
On Mon, 14 May 2007 17:03:13 GMT, John E wrote:

I have seen a lot of suggestions to destroy slugs. One which seems to be
very effective and also non-toxic (to humans and other wildlife) is
Nemaslug - which is essentially a culture of nematodes which attack slugs. I
cannot personally vouch for it, and would be interested to see any other
posts from people who have used it, but the article which I read which
referred to it, claimed it was 100% effective.

(You have to keep it in the fridge until used)

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/slug.htm

John.

Hi John,my garden is slug heaven.Trees along the western fence,so shady
early in the PM,and lots of leaf litter.I first used the nematodes about 6
years ago.They worked really well.So well that slugs where not a problem
the following year and only started to put in an appearance in numbers the
year after that.
I can only guess,but as they are native I managed to "seed" the area for
the longer term.

I understood the Nematode was not native at all, from New Zealand
originally?

A balance of nature? It's nice to think so.
I put the latest load on a couple of weeks ago,20 quids worth.IF it works
as before thats not too bad for 2 years cover......Who am I kidding,its
still a lot of money for bloody slugs! )

We used nematodes in our Leeds garden, certainly was never as effective
as one application to keep numbers down enough for 2 years, we'd
probably used a couple of applications in a year? but it does work, but
not 100% slug removal.

Now we've moved to East Anglia slugs aren't a problem, we have them, and
we have plenty of undergrowth around the garden etc., but don't suffer
any particularly obvious slug damage. I assume because it's drier?
--
Chris French