Old 14-05-2007, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ALAN ALAN is offline

Default Slug devastation

Hi John,

The only answer is WAR - total WAR, when it comes to slugs and snails, which
can quickly devastate your hard work on the garden.

I like to be green and organic wherever I can but when it comes to slugs and
snails I resort to chemical WMD - the green pellets - theyre cheap and they
work.

Havent tried the nematodes but they look expensive to me.

Did try going out with a lamp and salt pot after dark - it did work somewhat
but was too much effort and aroused too much neighbourly curiosity so I
stopped that. Also tried beer traps, sharp gravel - you name it - all with
some effect but nothing near as effective as the green WMD pellets.

This is no time for prevarication - green isnt always best - so take
decisive action - bite the bullet and exterminate them.

Good luck

Hope this helps

Alan

"John Nolan" wrote in message
.uk...
We are having a really bad Spring here what with devastation of fruit
trees,
by mth caterpillars, we also have more slug damage than ever before.

Unfortunately, I have been having trouble with my News Art downloading, so
if I do not reply to any help, it is because I have computer problems.

Anyway, we try to be organic and re. the slugs, I try to use methods
advocated by what was the HDRA. I think it's called something else now.

I have used the Malay fish poison that you water on, and is meant to be
effective for up to 6 weeks, regardless of rain. However, I can't find our
stock of it, or we've run out.

I have been using stuff with Aluminium sulphate. This upsets slugs but is
meant to be harmless to warm blood creatures. But, in heavy rain it just
seems to get washed away in a day.

I am hoping to find something that actually attracts slugs, so I could put
it under a shelter from the rain.

Then again, there the possibility of beer ! The slugs get drunk. This may
be
attract slugs from some distance away.

But, a common factor re. fruit and slug devastation seems to be a dearth
of
the right sorts of birds.

I should be grateful for any helpful thoughts.

--
From Glorious Gloucestershire, near Lydney, using :------------