Old 15-05-2007, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Question about mulching.

wrote in message
On May 15, 6:19 am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
wrote in message
On May 14, 1:42 pm, wrote:
I am living in eastern Ontario area. Is red cedar mulching good for
this area? For backyard mulching, what may be the best, to prevent
pest and other drawbacks?

I mean I wish I could do the following in an area 10x8 feet:

Weed control , then Moisture retention, then Soil improvement, then
Beautification of the yeard ...

All mulches will suppress weeds if they are thick enough and (in the case
of
perennial weeds) if they are lifted and let drop back to the ground as
the
weeds show through (and this is repeated often enough to starve the weeds
of
light - it may take some time though). All mulches will also help in
moisture retention if they are thick enough and there is moisture there
begin with. Some mulches can actually be water repellant to a degree so
they must also allow good passage of moisture through them. Alfalfa
based
mulches are very good for improving the soil over time and especially if
used with animal manures used under the mulch to encourage earthworms and
soil biota.

HTH.

Thanks.

I did not know Alfalfa based mulches.

Sorry I should have been more careful in my explanation. Alfalfa can be
grown but the way in which I was using the term, I meant the type of bought
stock feed that is used for cattle or horse feed - usually hay or chaff. It
is also exceptional mulching material because it is an excellent food source
for earthworms and other soil life and the amount of soil life is a good
indication of soil fertility.

But I guess I could try it soon.
How much (I mean in boxes , or how many seeds) do I need for an area
of 8x10 in square feet? Do I also need to manure them? how often and
how much to watering? Another question is that Alfafa is not
perennial, I guess I have to plant each spring?

Now I have applied some red cedar mulches, about 2". I guess that
might not be enough. Also someone told me that red cedar could lead to
pests, ants, etc. how should I deal with the applied red cedar? ro
remove them?

If you have put it down already then I would suggest that you leave it and
just keep an eye on what is happening. If you do get ants in this place,
will they be a problem? Or perhaps I should ask, why would they be a
problem? Most gardens would have some ants in them and unless they are
eating something or swarming over something they usually aren't a problem.

If you find that 2" of mulch is not enough then that would be the time to
add more or try something different. You've gone to the effort of putting
that in already so see how it works.

Do you know the names of the weeds it is that you are trying to kill/cover?