Old 15-05-2007, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question about mulching.

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 15, 10:03 am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

I did not know Alfalfa based mulches.

Sorry I should have been more careful in my explanation. Alfalfa can be
grown but the way in which I was using the term, I meant the type of
bought
stock feed that is used for cattle or horse feed - usually hay or chaff.
It
is also exceptional mulching material because it is an excellent food
source
for earthworms and other soil life and the amount of soil life is a good
indication of soil fertility.

I might have understood it in a wrong way. When you said Alfalfa, I
was thinking about the small-can-contained seeds sold in Wal-Mart --
for flower carpet uses -- I bet?

-- No, I only wish I could get a more enjoyable backyard. It will not
be a farm.

So is it good to buy some such flower carpet seeds -- say I noticed
that there are many different colore flowers -- and spray them on some
bare-earth with some new top-soil, and they can grow?

Are they dying in the winter? Or do I have to control their growth
next sprint/summer?

Just want to learn some more knowledge.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but in minutes or miles, how far is
your public library?