Old 15-05-2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_2_] Billy[_2_] is offline

Default Question about mulching.

All mulches will suppress weeds if they are thick enough and (in the case
of perennial weeds) if they are lifted and let drop back to the ground as
the weeds show through (and this is repeated often enough to starve the
weeds of light - it may take some time though).

This is a bit misleading, I think.
I have a huge, very heavily mulched area that sprouts weeds as fast as I can
pull them. Bird droppings contain seeds that easily germinate after landing
on top of mulch no matter how deep it is.
So while mulch might suppress weeds from growing up through them they do not
stop seeds that land on them from germinating.

It's a minor distinction, I agree, and might have to do with my hot humid
climate. But I hate to think of novice gardeners laying down mulch and
thinking they will never have weeds.

--
Toni
South Florida USA