Old 15-05-2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default adelgids treatment on Hemlocks

Glenn Meyers wrote:
Can anyone recommend the best way of treating a well established infestation
of these critters in my neighbors and my hemlocks??

Thanks,

Glenn

If the trees are of a size where you can spray easily an insecticidal
soap is possible. Otherwise, a systemic insecticide applied through soil
drench is probably the best option. Injection systemic is another method
used but typically it takes an arborist to do that and it is very expensive.

If you do a Google search for "treat hemlock adelgid" (without quotes of
course) there are several articles that detail possible treatments.

I have at least 20 hemlocks on my property and am weighing the
possibilities myself. Luckily I seem to have no active infestations (or
none that I can see) and my trees are all 25 feet tall. My neighbors
have some trees that are absolutely humongous and which have active
infestations and the arborist's estimates are pretty scary (luckily the
neighbors have a lot more money than I do so maybe life is fair sometimes).

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]