Old 29-03-2003, 06:56 AM
Anna Merchant

Default In Mourning for my Peas

Well, I had been wondering over the past few weeks why my pea plants werent
thriving in the containers I had them in, in fact they properly died last
week. Curled up all brown, covered themselves in PM, and hit the hay for the
final time.

So.. tonight I go out to take them out of their pots, and replace them with
rocket lettuce i'm growing for my stepmum. Well, i pulled down their
supports, and started to take the plants out, and got up to get a tool, and
noticed a few ants coming out of the bottom of the pot.

Well, to cut a long story short, both the pots were totally infested with an
ant nest each The soil was thick, and white with ant eggs, and seething
with the things. No wonder the plants didnt survive. They had such a small
root base when i pulled them out.. poor things. They didnt have a chance.

So I threw the soil on the garden (one that I dont use, ever), and sprayed
it with fly spray to kill off as many as I could. Don't want lots of ant
nests around here, we have enough as it is.

So, yeah. Makes me sad, cos they were the first plants to sprout this year.

--
Anna Merchant
http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz